Cameroon’s Reunification Monument was constructed in the 1970s to memorialize the post-colonial merging of British and French Cameroon. Located in Yaounde, its architects are Gedeon Mpondo and Engelbert Mveng. Another reunification monument, albeit far less well-known, is located in Mamfe.
Founded in 1888 during the period of the German protectorate, Yaoundé was occupied by Belgian troops in 1915 and was declared the capital of French Cameroun in 1922. From 1940 to 1946 it was replaced as the capital by Douala, but after independence it became the seat of the government of Cameroun in 1960, of the federal government in 1961, and of the united republic in 1972 (see Cameroon: The mandates).